Two Nigerians and five foreign workers – three Australians, a New Zealander and a South African – are released four days after a deadly attack on their convoy
Seven men kidnapped in a deadly attack in Nigeria have been released. The men, who work for Perth-based mining company Macmahon Holdings, were in a group driving on the outskirts of the city of Calabar when they were attacked by gunmen on Wednesday. Their driver, a Nigerian man, was killed.
The company said in a statement late on Sunday night the men – three Australians, two Nigerians, a New Zealander and a South African – had been released.
“The families have all been informed of the successful release of the men and have had the opportunity to speak to their loved ones,” Macmahon chief executive Sy van Dyk said.
“Our team has worked around the clock in locations around the world to bring them home and I am so proud of the dedicated and professional work they have done.
“While we are relieved to be able to reunite the seven men with their loved ones, we are deeply saddened by the loss of the local driver Matthew Odok, who was fatally injured during the initial incident.”
For the rest of this article, click here: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/27/seven-mining-workers-freed-kidnapped-nigeria