Ontario’s mines minister says the province has never seen a business plan for a proposed railway to the Ring of Fire.
Earlier this week the Mining and Lands Commissioner dismissed applications from Cliffs Natural Resources for easements to build a road to mineral deposits in the North. The narrow corridor needed for the road is already staked by KWG Resources for a proposed railway instead.
On Friday Northern Development and Mines minister Michael Gravelle said while Cliffs has shown its $3.3 billion plan for the area, he’s never seen one from KWG.
But the province wants to see any plan put forward for the Ring of Fire, he added. As for the decision, Gravelle said his ministry and the Ministry of Natural Resources didn’t want to be a part of the commissioner hearings out of respect for the independent process.
“It is a dispute between two private sector companies,” he said. Gravelle said he’s encouraged by the fact that Cliffs is looking at all options for the proposed road. Everyone is still on board and still committed to the project.
They believe they can work their way through this particular challenge,” he said. “I’m pleased to hear that.”